Change isn’t easy

I got called up today.

No I don’t play baseball and I’m not headed to the majors.

Instead I got the call to go back to work.

After nearly three months on furlough, I’ll soon be returning to work.

And it’s funny.

“They” say humans are creatures of habit and I am what some would call the queen of routine.

I always order the same thing at restaurants — or I did before the pandemic.

I almost always do my laundry all on the same day. I just like routine and am not big on change.

So when I was told that I was being furloughed and that I would not be returning to work for an unknown amount of time, my world was thrown off kilter.

I didn’t know what I would do, where I would go or how I would operate.

I kept myself busy for the first few days but then as time went on, I moved from that old normal into a new one.

I get up each day when the kids and I wake up. I put on my leggings or “quarantine pants” as my husband and I call them.

I let my dog out into our backyard and feed my frogs. I do work for my essential oil business, do some writing, work on organization projects around my house and play with my kids. Some days I just float in our swimming pool.

On the few days when my kids are at daycare, I get more work done and I take a little time for myself.

But for the most part, we have created this new normal where we move through our days, some with more structure than others, having fun, playing with toys, making crafts and swimming.

When my boss was offering me the job to return, she said the Tribune isn’t the same place it was when I left and honestly I expected that.

I think most of us can agree that the world is not the same as it was three or four months ago.

In the 12 hours since I received the call, I have had a million thoughts going through my head.

First and foremost, I am feeling so blessed and relieved to have the money to pay my bills and the insurance coverage for my children and myself.

My next thought is that fear of routine. The new routine will include getting the children up much earlier to be dressed and ready to be off to daycare by 745-750 a.m. each day Monday through Friday. I won’t see them again until after 5 p.m.

I will then spend my days working in the office without my canine companion at my side and the ability to check in with my little swimming frogs whenever I like.

Alexa won’t be there to play my SiriusXM radio at the demand of my voice.

While I will technically have the same job I did when I left, it will be different. I know that for sure.

The plans I had at that time for the future of my career are questionable at best. I will be some of the same tasks and some new tasks in a world that is completely different than when I was furloughed months ago.

The office has different people working in it who have created new routines and new norms without me.

I no doubt will feel like a bit of an outsider in the beginning.

While it will take time, I know that eventually I will create a new plan, a new routine in my new job in this new world.

Until then, I plan to go easy on myself and take the time needed to adjust according.

Published by Shay Burk

I'm a lifelong learner who has had a passion for writing almost from time I learned letters. I love to write stories of people who inspire me, people who do good and people who beat the odds. Now I am turning the tables and writing about a topic I know well and avoid most — me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: